Dhayanesh Velusamy, P.E.
Sr. Power Engineer
Dhayanesh is a Sr. Power Engineer with ZGlobal and is responsible for conducting highly complex engineering studies of the transmission systems within WECC, with a special focus on California. With experience in developing designs for high voltage transmission lines as well as PV string inverters, he has provided thorough power flow steady state, transient and short circuit studies, analyzed the reliability impact of new generator and network interconnections to large utilities power system and proposed upgrades and modifications as required.
Prior to joining ZGlobal, Dhayanesh developed functional software and adapter packages for BMW, Volkswagen, Toyota and Honda.
1. West of Devers 500 kV upgrades
2. Submarine cable from Diablo to Ormand / Redondo Beach and the impact of off-wind
3. Lake Elsinore Pump Storage in Southern California
Work Performed: Dhayanesh performed a comprehensive reliability analyses including dynamic, transient, and voltage impact of the above projects.
Additionally, Dhayanesh performed the following:
• Studied several utility network performances to determine compliance to NERC standards and WECC mandated standards.
• Designed and implemented several remedial action schemes and worked on increasing the WECC designated path rating for several Western Utilities.
• Developed power flow base cases for varying time periods, seasons, and scenarios for WECC system review work group, Westconnect, Western Arizona Transmission Subcommittee etc.
• Established the standard for Winter and Summer ratings for several public power utilities bulk electric system and created path rating catalogs.
• Investigated the loading capability of several power transformers to safely increase the emergency ratings.
• Perform curtailment risk and feasibility analysis for new and existing power projects.
• Developed several power flow steady state and dynamic model development for power system including: pump storage, energy storage, wind, and voltage source converters.
• Perform electrical design, CAD modeling for PV solar and battery energy storage projects.
• Analysis of Congestion Revenue Rights and its implication under ISO markets.
Dhayanesh holds a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering from Arizona State University, a Bachelor of Science in Electrical & Electronics Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, India and is a registered Professional Electrical Engineer in the State of California – E-22329.